Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Frozen Bananas: Take Two

Yesterday, the boys had a snow day.  I kept them busy making chocolate chip cookies.  We talked about measurements and chemical vs. physical reactions when baking.  Between the two of them, they did everything themselves.

I also lectured on the evils of hydrogenated fats, and their eyes glazed over. I do not use shortening when I make cookies.    Instead I just double the butter.  Now, I don't know what that does to the calorie count, but it makes one delicious cookie.  One cookie, for me.  One single cookie.  One lonely, 5 point cookie, if you are following Weight Watchers.

So, when I got hungry later in the day I made a frozen banana snack!  (You thought I put frozen bananas in my cookies, didn't you!?)

Mexican Cocoa Frozen Bananas  
1 unfrozen banana
1 Tbsp cocoa
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon or baking spice

Combine cocoa and cinnamon on a flat surface, like a small bread plate or cutting board.  Cut banana into thirds, or roll-able portions.  Coat banana in cocoa mixture by rolling banana, and tap to knock off excess powder.  Freeze banana for 15 to 30 minutes; just enough to chill it but still be eatable.

WARNING:  This is not a super sweet snack!  The natural sweetness of the banana will have a lot to do with the finished product.  My 11 year old likes these, but my 6 year old feels 'tricked' by the cocoa.  He assumes because it is chocolate that it will be like candy.

No comments:

Post a Comment