Monday, March 4, 2013

Frozen Bananas: Take One

My family goes through phases with fruit.  They are grape crazy right now -- I can't keep red seedless grapes in the fridge for more than a day.  And I'm not complaining; everyone is eating more fruits and vegetables around here and that's great!

Before grapes, it was bananas.  But only pristine, yellow bananas that looked like they came right off of a photo shoot.  Any banana that started to turn a little brown looked 'too yucky' for my six year old to eat.

I've been putting older bananas in the freezer to save for banana bread for years.  But I've come up with another tasty recipe below that no one turns their nose up at.

Banana Smoothies
1 frozen banana
1/2 c. frozen blueberries (or any frozen berries, cherries or pineapple)
1 serving yogurt (I use 100 calorie Greek yogurt, but any type is delicious)

Microwave the frozen banana for 20 to 30 seconds.  This will make it much easier to peel.  Peel and then cut the banana into bite size pieces.  Put banana pieces, blueberries and yogurt into a food processor.  A traditional blender will do the work, too.  As you blend be sure to stop every so often to push the banana pieces back down to the bottom.

When thoroughly blended, serve as is with a spoon.  The texture is almost like soft serve ice cream.  If you want to serve as a drink, add about 1/4 c. water while blending.  Add more water if needed.  Makes one serving of dairy and two servings of fruit.

I usually have to share with that six year old I was telling you about.

You can omit the yogurt.  The frozen banana adds body all on its own.  But if you do leave out the yogurt, you must eat quickly!  When the fruit thaws, it becomes much too watered down for my taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment