Friday, March 8, 2013

Frozen Bananas: The Final Chapter

As I type this, I think I am banana'd out.  After spending the week exploring the world of frozen bananas I have reached my limit.  But for you, dear reader, I will carry on and finish the final installment of banana week -- Banana Oatmeal Cookies.

A friend pointed out to me this week that cookies could be made with just bananas and oatmeal.  Two ingredient cookies - well, I had to give this a try!

Banana Oatmeal Cookies
4 frozen bananas
2 c. oatmeal
optional:  baking spice, cinnamon, chocolate chips, nuts, raisins

I added baking spice.
Preheat oven to 350 F.  Peel those four seriously cold bananas and try not to get numb fingers like I did.  Really, if your fingers start to tingle and go numb, turn on room temperature tap water and warm them up before proceeding.  Cut up bananas and add to mixing bowl.  Add oatmeal and 1 tsp. of baking spice or other add-ins.    Using stand or hand mixer, mix until completely combined.  Because the bananas were frozen, I let my mixer go for about 2 minutes, increasing the speed a little at a time.  After thoroughly mixed, drop dough from tablespoon or cookie dough scoop onto a well greased cookie sheet.  Bake for 12 to 14 minutes.  Remove from oven and cool on cookie rack.  Yields approximately 20.


There they are.  Pretty and golden brown!

The verdict:  My 6-year old son liked them.  I found them, well, too banana-y.  They didn't really have a cookie like texture, but come on!  There was no flour, sugar or fat in them to create a cookie texture.  I was hoping for more.  But the moral of the story is you get out what you put in.  And I got little lumps of warm banana and oatmeal.  This would probably make a better breakfast food than an afternoon snack.

A quick internet search shows that I am not the only person blogging about these cookies.  There are several recipes, with several variations out there.  So if you are curious and want to know more, type 'banana oatmeal cookies' into your search engine.

No comments:

Post a Comment