Saturday, September 10, 2011

Try something new: White Beets & Beet Greens

I love beets. However beets do not seem to love me. They do strange things to my digestion having to do with their need to dye everything they touch with their deep burgundy color. When I saw white beets at the farmer's market I got excited.

Then they sat there for a few days. I opened up the refrigerator and saw the greens were wilting and the beets were fine. It was a week night so I didn't have a lot of time to make beets. Usually I roast them. I also think it was 90 degrees and I didn't want to turn on the oven. So I called my friend Terri who's a chef and asked for advice.

Within minutes I had my beet greens soaking in ice water to freshen them up. Then I cooked my beets in of all things, the microwave.




Sauteed Beet Greens:
Ingredients:
The greens from your batch of beets
1 to 2 cloves garlic
1/2 tablespoon olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Method:
Get the garlic and oil going in the nonstick pan over medium high heat. Drain the greens but leave them wet. When you can smell the garlic dump the greens into the pan and put the lid on for about 30 seconds. Then stir as needed for the next 2 to 3 minutes to finish cooking the greens without over cooking them. They are mild and delicious.

Microwaved Beets
Ingredients:
3 beets
1/2 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon chives
salt and pepper to taste

Method:
Peel and dice the beets. Put the butter in the microwave safe, lidded dish and melt for about 20 seconds. Add the beets, salt and pepper, toss with the butter. Microwave on high for approximately 5 minutes or until a knife goes through easily. While the beans are microwaving mince the chives using scissors. Sprinkle them over the beets when they are finished.

I think it's interesting that there's a plant where the whole thing is edible. I think it's interesting that with little time, and on a week night I was able to make not one healthy vegetable side dish, but two. Even as slow as I am with a knife it took less than 20 minutes to make the beet greens and roots.

My review of the beets and greens? Delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment