Monday, August 15, 2011

Caffeine Addiction~

I have a terrible caffeine addiction. I have been drinking coffee every day since about 5th or 6th grade. I know my grandmother had long since given up on having me eat cereal for breakfast and I had begun a terrible morning habit of starting the day out with pastry. The coffee made sense I suppose. It's harmless enough. Some studies even show that it may be a little good for you.

Unfortunately I was drinking approximately 4 cups of coffee in the morning. Then a can of diet cola at lunch. Perhaps a cup of coffee in the late afternoon. Then I'd have a cup of tea after dinner. On top of that my painkiller of choice has caffeine.

I decided that enough was enough and stopped. Simply stopped. I opted to continue having my evening cup of Typhoo tea but otherwise nothing else. I bought sparkling water for my lunches. I threw away the rest of my caffeinated coffee only keeping the decaf in the house and I waited.

I was waiting for the raging headache to occur. The exhaustion to set in. I was waiting to feel miserable. The headache came and within 3 days the headache went. It was simply over. An addiction that had lasted over 20 years was gone.

The reason I mention this is because I hear a lot of people say that they need this or they need that for the caffeine. They don't want to give up pop because of the headache. Or this or that.

I am here to tell you that it's not so bad. Really. Just about 3 days and it was gone. I don't miss it. It's been 2 weeks.

Not thinking about it, the other night I had a frothy ice coffee thing at a cafe. I felt like death afterwards. I think the next time I am at that cafe I'll order something else.

No comments:

Post a Comment