Friday, May 13, 2011

Of Foodies and Expanding Patooties!

Last Wednesday was our actual anniversary. We decided to cook ourselves a very nice dinner on the barbecue of fillet mignon with roasted vegetables and twice baked potatoes. We got the meat, sides and dessert from Dunnings, our local butcher shop. 

Alex scored a bottle of "Dark Lord" beer from Three Floyds. It's only available one day a year. It was a very good beer. Dark, mellow, and full of flavor. 

We fired up the grill, cooked and enjoyed. We kept our meat simple, only adding a little blue cheese and boxwood basil at the end for a little kick. My fillet was about 6 ounces, Alex's was about 8 ounces.

Thursday we went out to dinner, Sunday we had the whole family over for Mother's day. Saturday was the Alinea adventure... By Tuesday I'd only gained 2 pounds. Not bad!

Why was that? Physical activity and portion sizes. My steak was 6 ounces on Wednesday, I didn't eat the entire thing and saved a little for breakfast on Thursday. My dinner out on Thursday I put half in a tupperware to have on Friday. Saturday's dinner was an exercise in overindulgence but I also indulged in exercise. I walk my dog about 45 minutes in the morning and for about 45 minutes in the evening. Some days it rains and some days we're lazy and some days we're overachievers. Today walking the puppy I burnt off about 200 calories.

The morals of the story?

  • Enjoy your life without guilt, at least not over food.
  • Pay attention to small changes. It's easier to lose 5 to 10 pounds than 50 to 100. Even if you have to lose 100, think of it as 10 and go from there.
  • Get out and move it. Move your body! It doesn't have to be at the gym. Lots of things count :)

No comments:

Post a Comment