Saturday, May 28, 2011

A Healthier Breakfast Sandwich

This weekend I discovered that I could microwave eggs. The rest of you may not be shocked or amazed by this but I was pretty impressed. My husband and I wanted to make homemade egg sandwiches but we couldn't figure out how to make our eggs the right size for the English muffin. My husband being an engineer suggested the microwave, so we tried it. One egg + one egg white for 1 minute in the microwave = perfect for our breakfast sanwiches!!!!

This can be made with 1 egg + 1 egg white, or only 1 egg, or two egg whites. I however love egg yolks for both their flavor and nutritional benefits so I tend to make this using one egg + 1 egg white.

Enough talk, on to the recipe:

1 whole grain english muffin
1 whole egg + 1 egg white
2 basil leaves
1 tbsp chives (cut small)
1 slice applewood smoked bacon
1 slice reduced fat cheddar cheese
1 thick slice of a tomato

Assemble ingredients

Slice the english muffin and put it in the toaster, put bacon in the microwave for approximately 1 minute per slice (this will vary depending on your microwave). Then put your egg in a coffee mug. Whisk with a fork. Add chives.

When the bacon comes out of the microwave add the egg to the microwave. Cook for approximately 1 minute.

When the english muffin is done toasting, assemble and eat. It's just that easy and should take a total of 5 minutes to make from start to finish. You can substitute just about any kind of meat for the bacon like smoked salmon or turkey bacon or whatever you like. The sandwich should be about 315 calories and is surprisingly satisfying.

The herbs aren't really needed, but I do have an herb garden so I might as well take advantage of it! :)

3 comments:

  1. Sounds DELICIOUS and simple. I think I'm gonna try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds Great! I'm definitely going to try it this weekend. I don't have any fresh basil right now, but I bet it would be good with spinach.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Susan: Oh absolutely! Spinach is delicious with egg and tomato!

    @Dom: You'll have to tell me how you liked it!

    ReplyDelete